A Perfect Original - The Marshall Family Legacy
Today’s world famous Mackinac Island fudge found its humble beginning on the quaint trading hub of Mackinac Island where fur and fish were once the sought after resources. As Mackinac Island was reinventing itself from a trading mecca to a popular summer resort, candy makers decided to claim a portion of the flourishing tourist market. Because of these early candy makers top quality manufacturing and use of the freshest ingredients, Mackinac Island fudge became a run-after, craze inducing product that can now be found from coast to coast. One of the early candy makers who paved the way for Mackinac Island fudge becoming a world renowned product was Jim Marshall. Marshall, founder of Marshall’s Fudge, started his career as a candy maker at Mackinac Island’s first candy business in 1923. Marshall worked at the original Mackinac Island candy shop for many years, all the while perfecting his candy making skills. Marshall often travelled to off-season events located across the state of Michigan, making and selling the notorious Mackinac Island fudge.
Marshall was a native of Mackinac Island, his ancestry there dating back to the early 1820’s. Marshall’s great-grandfather, William Anthony Marshall, was commissioned commander of Old Fort Mackinac during the Civil War and was the Fort’s longest serving soldier. During the late 1800’s Jim Marshall’s grandfather, William Marshall II, was the first light keeper of the Round Island Lighthouse located on Lake Huron. Jim Marshall created a new and very different legacy for the Marshall name in 1952 when he and his wife Oradelle, along with their son Dean, opened their own candy store located on Mackinac Island’s Main Street. They named their store “Marshall’s Driftwood Fudge.” In 1954 Jim and his family opened a second store, introducing the first fudge shop to St. Ignace, Michigan. By 1962 the Marshall family had developed six new stores dispersed throughout Michigan’s Straits area. Once again Mr. Marshall had managed to spread the joy of Mackinac Island fudge across the state. By 1965 the Marshall’s had opened a store on East Central Avenue in the heart of Mackinaw City. Today Marshall’s Fudge is located on the very same street.
Mackinac Island Fudge would not be the world renowned product it is today if it had not been for the pioneer candy makers such as Mr. Marshall. The Marshall’s difference stems from both the use of the original Mackinac Island Fudge recipe as well as the combination of utilizing the freshest ingredients and taking the greatest pride in and care of the produced product. Oradelle Marshall played a key role as well in the creation of the acclaimed product. Mrs. Marshall decided to reinvent the fudge world and was responsible for developing numerous new and exciting fudge flavors that can still be found on the counter at Marshall’s Fudge today. Fudgies can credit Mrs. Marshall for all of the irresistible and diverse fudge flavors that make it so there is truly something for everyone. Thanks Mrs. Marshall!
Marshall’s Fudge use of the original Mackinac Island recipe has not only put their fudge in the spotlight but has also drawn much attention to the store itself. The fudge shop has received national exposure on the Food Network’s Program “Food Finds,” and was voted the #1 fudge in Northern Michigan on the 9 & 10 News Program.
Fudgies can credit Mrs. Marshall for all of the irresistible and diverse fudge flavors that make it so there is truly something for everyone. Thanks Mrs. Marshall!
Marshall’s Fudge devotion to the original Mackinac Island recipe has not only put their fudge in the spotlight but has also drawn much attention to the store and its talented staff. The fudge shop has received national exposure on the Food Network’s Program “Food Finds,” and was voted the #1 fudge in Northern Michigan on the 9 & 10 News Program.